Clearly the best free agent on the market this 2016 NFL Off Season. Matt Forte is generating a lot of buzz and rightfully so. He is a lock in fantasy when targeted and an all around NFL feature back. Let’s take a look at where Forte’s talents might take him.
Matt Forte will not be going to any of these NFL teams. Sorry guys and gals. In my opinion these teams do not have the cap space or the need for Mr. Forte.
The Bills, Patriots, Broncos, Dolphins, Saints, Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals, Vikings, Eagles, Giants, Lions, Falcons, Jaguars, Rams, Raiders, Ravens, Bengals, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Texans, Browns and Bears.
That leaves these 7 teams as a possible landing zone for Matt Forte.
7) The Los Angeles Chargers? Nope, San Diego remains where the Super Chargers fight! Melvin Gordon was a 1st round bust last season. Rushing 184 times for 641 yards and 0 tds. Unlikely the Chargers will give up on him after just one season. Third down running back Danny Woodhead is still around. We all know Phillip Rivers likes to dink and dunk the ball. Forte would fit well in San Diego too.
6) The San Francisco 49ers are an outsider looking eastward. Carlos Hyde’s injury and the emergence of Shaun Draughn bring interesting drama into the mix. The 49ers more likely than not are rebuilding with the arrival of Chip Kelly.
5) The Seattle Seahawks already have Thomas Rawls lined up. He came on strong and helped fantasy owners world wide last season. In NFL standards he is unproven and with Beastmode retiring. Forte has an outside chance to push the Seahawks over the hump. While their Superbowl window remains open.
4) The Indianapolis Colts need help at the running back position. Frank Gore and Matt Forte would fit nicely together. Unrealistic? Just wanted to throw it out there. Hopefully Andrew Luck is healthy and gets protection upfront through the 2016 NFL Draft. In my opinion. Andrew Luck made poor decisions last season regardless. Tried to force the ball too often in to quickly closing windows. Luck will need to refocus this off season. He threw for 15 tds with 12 ints last season. Chalk it up to injuries if you will. The Colts need more weapons. T.Y. Hilton blows the top off the defense and is maturing into a steady #1 wr. Donte Moncrief and Phillip Dorsett were bright spots last season. To Be Determined if Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen return. The Colts need to do something if they want to make it back to the playoffs.
Before we get to the top 3 teams. Check out Matt Forte’s career statistics.
- 316 attempts- 1,238 yards- 8 tds.
- 63 receptions- 477 yards- 4 tds.
- 258 att. 929 yards- 4 tds.
- 57 rec. 471 yards – 0 tds.
- 237 attempts- 1,069 yards – 6 tds.
- 51 rec. 547 yards- 3 tds.
- 203 attempts- 997 yards- 3 tds.
- 52 rec. 490 yards- 1 TD.
- 248 att. 1,094 yards- 5 tds.
- 44 rec. 340 yards- 1 TD.
- 289 att. 1,339 yards- 9 tds.
- 74 rec. 594 yards- 3 tds.
- 266 att. 1,038 yards- 6 tds.
- 102 rec. 808 yards- 4 tds.
- 218 att. 898 yards- 4 tds.
- 44 rec. 389 yards- 3 tds.
- 8,062 rushing yards (4.2 ypc).
- 4,116 receiving yards (8.5 ypr).
- 64 total tds.
- 487 receptions.
3) The Tennessee Titans have David Cobb, Bishop Sankey and Antonio Andrews. Matt Forte trumphs all three if signed. Marcus Mariota has weapons on the outside with Doreal Green Beckam, Justin Hunter and Delanie Walker. Kenny Wright over the middle and a solid defense. Cap space and the need for a true #1 rb. Seems viable to me.
2) The Carolina Panther’s offense was stymied by the Denver Broncos in Superbowl 50. Not only is Matt Forte an excellent pass catching rb. He blocks well. Which is something the Panther’s offensive line struggled with last season. With Jonathan Stewart having played in 8 seasons already. Carrying the ball for more than 200 attempts just twice. Matt Forte would solidfy their rb situation for the near future. Cam Newton, Matt Forte, Kelvin Benjamin and Greg Olsen. The Carolina Panthers have a few year window with that defense. The time to act is now!
1) The Green Bay Packers are 1st on my list. Can you imagine A Rodge dropping the ball off to Forte on dump screens? Rolling out to the right and hitting Forte on the sideline? Halfback draws? The power sweep? Well I can. If Forte lands in Green Bay. It’s fantasy gold. Aaron Rodger’s numbers dropped last year. Wide receivers couldn’t get off the press or open at times. Eddie Lacy had no burst and the Packers were a non productive offense often. More often then anticipated, versus previous years and for Aaron Rodgers fantasty statistic’s stature.
From 2005-2007 Rodgers was behind Brett Favre.
-28 tds – 13 ints.
-30 tds – 7 ints.
-28 tds – 11 ints
-45 tds – 6 ints.
-39 tds – 8 ints.
-17 tds – 6 ints.
-38 tds – 5 ints.
-31 tds – 8 ints.
Aaron Rodgers has performed without question and the acquisition of Matt Forte would have Rodgers in the top Fantasy qbs again. Currently Rodgers is not a top 5 fantasy quarterback in my opinion. In DFS. He was over priced week in and week out for the 2015 season.
This past 2015 season. Aaron Rodgers threw 572 pass attempts which was his highest total his 11 year career. Completing just 347 passes for a 60.7 completion percentage. Going 6.7 ypc. Both his lowest season totals ever. He was also sacked 46 times which is third most in his career.
The Packer’s wide receivers will welcome Forte’s presence. Opposing defenses must gameplan for him. Which alleviates the pressure the wideouts feel and receive each week.
Welp, there you have it. Il wrap it up with my current Top 5 Fantasy Football QB’s.
- Blake Bortles
- Tom Brady
- Ben Roethlisberger
- Russell Wilson
- Cam Newton